top
Statistics by Subject

Fort McPherson

 

Profiles


Statistical Profile (PDF)(Excel)

Infrastructure Profile (PDF)

Community at a Glance (PDF)

Community Poster (PDF)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fort McPherson is located on the Peel River at 67°26'N and 134°53'W, 121 km south of Inuvik and 1107 km northwest of Yellowknife.

The Hudson’s Bay Company established a post in 1840, and in 1848 the area was named after Murdoch McPherson, chief company trader. In 1852, a Loucheux Indian village moved to Fort McPherson. Father Grollier estabilshed an Anglican Mission soon thereafter in 1860. Fort McPherson is the home of Wally Firth, the first northern native Member of Parliament in 1972.