Tulita is a located at the junction of the Great Bear and Mackenzie River, at 64°54'N and 125°35'W. It is 620 kilometers from Yellowknife, and 72 km from Norman Wells.
Tulita was originally known as Fort Norman. The Northwest Company established the community in either 1804 or 1805. The original community was located on the Mackenzie River opposite the Red Stone River. The trading post was moved 3 times thereafter by the Hudson Bay Company. The Northwest Company established a trading post in 1810, and Sir John Franklin used the site as a starting point for his expeditions. The Anglican Church was built in 1860. The community has not moved since 1869.